11.11.2005

Stray bullets

Well, maybe it's just a function of the depression kind of creeping back, or the time of year, or whatever. But it seems like there have been some random triggers here and there.

A major one which took me entirely by surprise tonight was the last scene of Puccini's La Boheme. We went to see it performed tonight. A local performance, not entirely mediocre, and one of my favorite operas anyway. (I'm enough of a geek that I can actually use the plural of "opera" in that sentence. Yowza.) But the final scene, where Mimi is resting on the couch and she and Rodolfo have been left alone together and they share memories of their time together, brought back vividly the time when we saw Hannah in the funeral home, and were given some time to sit with her body. I remember talking to her and memories just flooding out, telling her how beautiful she was and how proud we always would be of her.

Anyway, I don't think I want to see that performed again.

No comments: