Yeah, as I was saying, obviously this would force me to do some journaling, which I badly need to do, yadda yadda. So here it is nearly July. I imagine it would be more effective and helpful if I did this more often than every three months.
The thing is, though, most blogs are about interesting books, incisive and witty commentary on current affairs, someone's very fascinating personal life. Mine isn't really about a damn thing -- unfortunately, unlike the show Seinfeld, my blog about nothing isn't funny or lucrative. However, keep in mind that I have actually viewed very few blogs, except for those of close friends, or a very few blogs that are funny/interesting enough to have become more generally known and linked to, so perhaps I'm overestimating the standards.
All that I have to talk about is myself, my loss, how I'm adjusting to this armpit of a town we've moved to... I am not working, I spend my days with a three-year-old, and I read utter and absolute crap most of the time, except what my good friend Sandy (who can be read at http://imponderabilia.blogspot.com/) is kind enough to pass along.
On that subject, she recently brought me two of Laurie Notaro's books (We Thought You Would Be Prettier and I Love Everybody (And Other Atrocious Lies) ). They were absolutely gut-bustingly hilarious -- especially I Love Everybody. I read most of it in bed one night and my husband was constantly being shaken awake as I guffawed and writhed and tried to smother my laughter and snorts in the pillow. My friend Gretchen, who does everything to its logical extreme, read them too and immediately ran out and bought her other two books, so now I have read them all. Thanks, Sandy -- I needed that.
Other than that, I recently turned 40, my younger daughter is now 3, and preschool beckons enticingly from across the vast empty gulf of summer, in whose forbidding depths lurk the twin demons of potty-training and weaning. I am dreading it. You'd think with everything I'd been through, particularly Hannah's death, that I'd merely chuckle at the pure terror of what lies ahead in the next two months, but for some reason it seems to have rendered me less able to cope with ordinary parenting stresses.
We are also trying to decide whether or not we want to have another child, assuming dh's vasectomy reversal was actually successful (we haven't bothered to check yet) and I am starting to realize that I really don't want to have another baby; what I want is to have my older daughter back, and that is not possible. However, a lot of why I think I don't want another child is simply that I hate the first three years, mostly (especially because I tend to spawn colicky non-sleeping round-the-clock-nursing newborns and very high-need, albeit engaging and lovely, babies and toddlers). Once the preschool year starts, I enjoy it so much more.
I was really having such a wonderful time with my older daughter right before she was killed. She was at a great age -- five; she was doing well in school, really growing into a wonderful person. I was so looking forward to her future.
My younger daughter is incredible too, but she is not my older daughter, and I think I've had a hard time adjusting to that fact and getting to a point where I can appreciate Emily for what and who she is, in her own right. There are so many similarities, and they look so much alike, but their personalities are fundamentally different. Hannah was a diplomatic and skilled negotiator; she wanted to work with people and get along and find solutions. Emily is charming and friendly but absolutely not negotiable; she either agrees with your agenda or she doesn't, and God help you if she doesn't. Not that she flings herself about or screams (at least most of the time she doesn't), but she's a formidable adversary. In point of fact, she's just like me, and it's harder than hell to try and live with the three-year-old version of myself.
I have a hard time too because I really don't have anyone I can talk to at length about Hannah's death. I mean, I can talk to dh, but he is grieving too, so he needs his share of support and sometimes I can't give it when I just want to feel MY grief. I can talk to my therapist, and he is truly wonderful, but it's only for an hour every week or so, and after all, he is getting paid. I can talk to a few of the people at our Compassionate Friends group, but mostof the circumstances of their children's deaths are very different (a lot of substance abuse/gun violence/suicides/horrible diseases, mostly older teens/young adults) and a lot of them seem to talk in aphorisms, which doesn't help. I can talk in a very limited way to close friends, those who knew and loved Hannah too, but I sense that there is only so much I can open up before they become uncomfortable and sad too.
With newer friends and those who never knew her personally, I really can't talk at all. I do refer to her off and on, especially since Emily is getting closer to the age Hannah was at her death, and I'm going through all the same hassles with Emily that I did with Hannah. But nobody ever picks up on it or asks me questions about her or even how I'm doing; or they just say something like, "Oh, I'm so sorry" or "I can't imagine how you do this, you're so strong" and then are practically foaming at the mouth to change the subject and move on. It's very isolating.
Youngstown, too, is just not a great place. Especially having just come from Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, and having lived in Atlanta for some years before that. It's a wasteland. We are making some friends, and in particular my friend Gretchen has literally saved my sanity and my life since I've moved here, but for the most part there is nothing much to do, nowhere good to eat, nothing that interesting to see (exceptions include the Butler Museum of American Art, and Mill Creek Park), nobody that intelligent or interesting to talk to. It's hell I tell you, just plain hell.
2 comments:
I can't read your post without crying. Maybe it is hard for people to talk to you, or to ask, because it's so difficult to not cry. Would it bother you, if they did? Or would it make you feel better, instead?
I have a dear friend, who now lives in Windom, MN (definitely a cultural wasteland considering we met and became friends in San Francisco). In the span of a year, she was abandoned by her husband, then lost her father, ended up in a homeless shelter for a while, all with her 4-yr-old daughter in tow.
It's quite a read, following her blog. Sometimes there'd be a long silence, and then a quick post. And I'd find myself tracking her down with a phonebook in one hand and my laptop in the other.
Anyway, the point is, she poured everything into her blog. Maybe this would be good for you, too. At the very least, it could be a connection between you and the rest of the book-reading world that is not Youngstown.
With Eliza, it is easy to know what to do. I can send her things (though I haven't in a while). She knows that if she ever needs to, we'll make room in our home for them.
I know for a fact I am no good at being anyone's friend. If you feel compelled protest, don't. It's genetic, apparently. Get it from my grandmother. May or may not explain why most of my friends are people I've met online
Keep posting? Then I can get to know you better. I want to read what you have to say, about Hannah ...or anything else.
Hey Erin!
It wouldn't bother me if people cried -- many do, when I tell them. I don't want them to be sad, but I know I'd react in a similar way if I were them, probably.
I know too that before this happened, on one or two occasions I'd run into someone who had lost a child, and it was tremendously awkward -- I didn't know what to say and was afraid to say the wrong thing. So I understand what's going on here, but that doesn't make it any easier.
I really feel for your friend. I'm glad she still has her daughter, but damn, what a hard road she's had. I'd be happy to help her out too, "pay it forward", so to speak. I know Hannah would want to make sure some little girl isn't going without food/clothes/whatever.
I have actually struggled with being a good friend, myself. I'm not sure why I have trouble with it. It seems to be getting easier over the years, as in I seem to be getting better at it, but I think I had a lot of growing up to do and was way behind on it. In other words, I was extremely self-centered and domineering. I cared very much about my friends, but I just couldn't shut up about my stuff or how whatever it was related to me. That was a hard lesson to learn.
I think I'm starting to like the whole blog thing a lot more. I have posted for several years on two different message boards, especially Sybermoms (linked in my blog) and while it's a source of support and amusement and some thought-provoking information, it is too easy to get caught up in the cross-talk and not really deal with what's important. Also, sometimes I just don't give a damn what someone else is going through, because I can barely handle my own shit.
Very, very glad you're out there.
I have the recipe for those chicken enchiladas; I think once it cools down a bit I'll be making myself some. I can *still* taste the ones you brought after Emily was born. That was hands-down the best meal anybody brought us. (Shhh, don't tell Sandy...)
Post a Comment