1.23.2008

Cautiously peers out...

Nothing much new to report. Max is now one year old, and cute as a button (see pic). Emily is doing well in school -- behaviors have really settled down. I think it was a maturity issue as much as anything. She and Julia still sometimes egg each other on in being silly, but things seem to be a little calmer. My relationship with her is great -- for some reason we seem to be closer than ever, and I am enjoying her company a lot more. Again, maybe a maturity thing, who knows?

Max is still a horrid, horrid "sleeper" (ha!). I was steered towards Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth, and so far I'm not that enthusiastic -- he pretty much does recommend the cry-it-out thing, only not gradual/incremental like Ferber.

On the other hand, I don't know what other options I have. I do think Max has trouble letting go and falling asleep, he's used to sleeping either in my arms, my bed or the car, and it's just getting impossible -- it's like I've had a newborn for an entire year. I am trying to figure out how to work it so I can get a much earlier bedtime for him, and get him to take REAL naps. In his crib, even. As I said before, I no longer view CIO on a par with human-rights abuses and the SS, but I am very, very uncomfortable with letting my kids cry, at least as infants. I do know, though, that at some point we're going to have a come-to-Jesus about sleep and staying in bed, and it's only a question of when. I am at the point where I want it to change but I am NOT ready to actually DO anything yet, because I'm the world's biggest wuss, and I am also very, very bad about process -- if it doesn't work IMMEDIATELY I will melt down and be all despairing and martyred and pissed off, and nobody likes that either.

Helllllllllllllllp.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

If you figure this sleep thing out, let me know, ok? My baby used to go down for naps in his crib, and slept there through the night. He has stopped and become a very vocal supporter of the family bed (see my blog).

Until I figure it out, I got him a tshirt that says, "My parents are exhausted".