I made the single best batch of kheer (Indian spiced rice pudding) for book club last night. We read Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai, and it was my turn to make refreshments, so I wanted to go with an Indian theme. I had also planned to make onion bhaji and buy some samosas, but the universe conspired against me. Still, the kheer is FABULOUS. Cardamom, nutmeg, almonds, orange peel, a touch of saffron, and a hint of rose essence. Beats any restaurant version I've ever had! And it makes a damn good breakfast.
So church will start back up. Not that it doesn't continue year-round, but it isn't really feasible in the summer with no Sunday school -- Emily has the attention span of a gnat and Max is beyond the stage where I could just nurse and have him sleep through the service. They do have a nursery worker, but I'm not that fond of her, although the kids seem to like her well enough.
And Emily will be attending a Jewish elementary school, after being raised Episcopalian and going to two rather evangelically-oriented VBSs. This should be interesting!
I'm still in utter despair at the state of my house -- I've nearly crossed the line into How Clean Is Your House territory (from a mere Clean Sweep level) but without help it is IMPOSSIBLE. I hate this.
No comments:
Post a Comment